- Photography ServedProject Featured On:Photography Served — 2/1/13
Fruits and Veggies for Rolling Stone
- This year my journalist friend Roger Young asked me to shoot some images for an article he was writing for Rolling Stone SA on Durban’s favourite ‘Afropunk flops’, Fruits and Veggies. Having known this bunch for a good couple of years as both friends and non paying clients (Durban musicians are perpetually broke) I was overjoyed to land this assignment, not even taking into account that it would be going into the Rolling Stone. I struggled for a long time to come up with a conceptual shoot for this project, especially after the success of this: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Fruits-and-Veggies/5116259
- We decided to stay true to the reputation of the band and instead of planning anything elaborate we rented a hotel room in one of the dodgiest ‘pay by the hour’ hotels in town for a night. I followed the band around for an evening, starting at sound check, pre drinks at a different bar, shenanigans in the band room, and then shot the gig. After that we all went off to the Willowvale Hotel, where there was a trance party in progress on the ground level. We partied with some middle age hippies and proceeded to our room. It was supposed to be a lock in with the band, myself and Roger but it had somehow turned into an after party for their show. The hotel room was quickly destroyed and I moved the band into the bath, the only space which was free.
- Roger wanted to beef up the article a bit, so I took some more photographs of the Veggies at Oppikoppi – a music festival located an unpleasant 10 hours drive away from Durban. A portrait of vocalist Purity almost made the cover, having been approved by the NY branch but Bob Dylan shat on our glory. I then also took some set up and lit photographs of Purity and her daughter and the entire band in a pool. Our assignment was published as a 14 page story in the October 2012 issue of the Rolling Stone.
- Hear some of their music here: http://www.reverbnation.com/fruitsveggies
Fruits and Veggies on FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fruits-Veggies/79335485728